*NEW* OSSI Directors
*NEW* OSSI School Assignments
School Safety & Security Report (Our Response)
Early Childhood Education
ES Report Cards
New Cell Phone Policy
Capital / Operating Budget
County Budget Shortfall
74 Years of Putting Children FIRST
Information and updates from the office of the Chief Technology Officer
For Students at Home:
- “Disconnect” at least one hour before bedtime. This includes all forms of media and requires online-based homework to be done well in advance of bedtime;
- Keep electronic devices out of bedrooms for a sounder sleep.
- Encourage students, when appropriate, to customize their device screens using tools such as ScreenShader designed to reduce potential eye strain and fatigue
- Consider providing students with options for good behavior that include physical activity and social interaction rather than “device time”;
- When requested, provide paper alternatives for take-home class work.
A Subcommittee of the Health & Safety Committee
For updates and discussions of Health and Safety issues, join our listserv at:
- Maryland Children’s Environmental Health and Protection Advisory Council (CEHPAC):
- New Jersey Education Association (NJEA):
Digital Safety at School and at Home
Dr. Assya Pascalev &
Lisa Cline, co-chairsSafeTech@mccpta.org
The MCCPTA Safe Technology Subcommittee would like to share the following recommendations for using technology at school and at home.
For Students at School:
- Consider placing Chromebooks/laptops on desks and tables rather than in laps;
- Don’t forget to shut down and log off of Chromebooks/laptops when moving from classroom to classroom;
- Consider turning off cell phones and keeping them in backpacks or lockers off when not in use;
- If necessary, take eye breaks, 1-to 2 minutes in length, approximately every 15 minutes;
- Attend to task! Avoid distractions such as reading email, playing games, or browsing the Internet;
- Engage in face-to-face socialization, especially at free time, lunch, and recess;
- Always use the Internet and devices for educational purposes in accordance with MCPS’s responsible use policies;
- Use resources that do not infringe on another’s copyright or trademark rights.