Why PARCC Matters
School Safety & Security Report (Our Response)
Early Childhood Education
ES Report Cards
Cell Phone Policy
Capital / Operating Budget
National Education Association:
- Are Cell Phones in Classroom Feeding An Addiction?
- Has the Smartphone Destroyed a Generation?
Wall Street Journal:
- France Takes On Cellphone Addiction With a Ban in Schools. "Children don’t have the maturity" for smartphones, a French mother says. "Some adults don’t either."
- Phones and Kids Are A Toxic Paira
New York Times:
- Opinion: Our Love Affair with Digital Is Over
- Why Are More American Teenagers Than Ever Suffering From Severe Anxiety?
- Schools and cellphones: In elementary schools? At lunch?
- More middle-school girls are inflicting self-pain. Experts say it might be because of smartphones
- U.S. schoolchildren tumble in international reading exam rankings, worrying educators
- Teenage depression and suicide are way up — and so is smartphone use
-Silicon Valley is Raising Their Kids Tech Free
- Students are Better Off without a Laptop in the Classroom
Harvard Business Review:
- Are You Hooked On Screens? Here's Why You Can't Look Away
- France to Ban Mobile Phones in Schools in September
- Should We Limit Screentime in School?
In the News
-Ohio School District Bans Student Cell Phone Use. Students in Mansfield City Schools will no longer be allowed to use cell phones during the school day.
- Researchers report screens' "blue light" causes irreversible eye damage. "Blue light can kill photoreceptor cells. ... can lead to macular degeneration, an incurable disease that blurs or even eliminates vision."
- CBS News, 60 Minutes, Groundbreaking Study Examines Effects of Screen Time on Kids
US Congressman Delaney Press Release:
On July, 27, 2018, congressmen John K. Delaney (MD-06) and Ted Budd (NC-13), introduced a bipartisan bill, the Children and Media Research Advancement (CAMRA) Act, which authorizes the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to lead a research program on technology and media’s effects on infants, children, and adolescents in core areas of cognitive, physical, and socio-emotional development.
A Message from MCPS:
- iGen teens facing deadly consequences for overuse of electronic media.
Life Coach Code:
- WiFi experiment done by a group of 9th grade students in Denmark got serious international attention. THIS is why…
National Public Radio:
- The Kojo Nnamdi Show:When Should Kids Learn About the Dangers of Sexting?
Ohio School District Bans Student Cell Phone Use. Students in Mansfield City Schools will no longer be allowed to use cell phones during the school day.
America's Real Digital Divide. A New York Times opinion piece by Naomi Schaefer Riley
75 Years of Putting Children First
Dr. Assya Pascalev &
Lisa Cline, co-chairsSafeTech@mccpta.org
The Digital Gap Between Rich and Poor Kids Is Not What We Expected. A New York Times report by Nellie Bowles